Do you have a hard time finding the perfect notebook? Maybe you've got a shelf full of the perfect notebooks that never seem to get used? Maybe you just love notebooks and the idea of making one with a letterpress cover is so completely over the top that you must give it a try.
In this full day workshop, you will design, print, and stitch up multiple softcover notebooks. You will leave with at least two completed notebooks, the supplies to make a few more, and the tools you'll need to make a lifetime supply of notebooks.
The day is split into three parts:
- An overview of different book structures.
- Design and printing your notebook covers.
- Creating your own notebooks.
You will use our amazing vintage tools during the workshop to create a saddle stitched notebook, and spiral bound notebook. Then, you'll also learn how to hand-sew a single-section notebook, and combine single sections into multisection notebooks.
For your notebook covers, you will be able to print from our selection of metal and wood type, metal ornaments, and a few image blocks. In short: if you've seen something that we've printed in the past, you'll have access to it for this workshop as well. If you don't know what anything of those things are, that's okay. Most of our students are first-timers at the press. We'll walk you through everything you need to know (and leave out the stuff you don't need to know).
You will take home:
- A minimum of two completed notebooks (the intention is to finish four notebooks during the workshop).
- A minimum of six printed notebook covers (the intention is to complete four notebooks during the workshop).
- Supplies to complete a total of six notebooks (the intention is to finish four of these during the workshop).
- A simple bookbinding kit so you can make unlimited notebooks at home (the intention is to take home the supplies to make two more notebooks with printed covers at home, and the tools to make unlimited notebooks after that).
Our studio is small, but mighty, so class size is limited to two people. For this class, you will share a printing press, and be working with multiple colours.
The workshop is open to anyone, but printers under the age of 18 will probably benefit from a custom workshop with their family members, so please get in touch before registering someone who is under 18 years old.
The workshop is held at Duchy Square in Princetown. The venue is wheelchair accessible, but the presses are designed to be used while standing and there is limited seating. Please get in touch if this will be challenging for you, and we can talk through what accommodations might improve your experience in the studio.
Workshop participants will have access to 15% off all Princetown Press products during their time at the studio.